Image and recipe from HomeChefBlog
Use left-over hot crossed buns for a decadent French Toast twist on waffles.
|4 Hot Cross Buns||1 Large Egg|
|3/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon||1/4 Cup of Milk|
|1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence||40g Butter|
|8 Strips of Streaky Bacon||Zest of 1 Orange|
|4 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream||Maple Syrup|
|100g Cherries||1 Tablespoon Icing Sugar|
- Preheat the grill to a medium hot setting. Preheat waffle maker.
- Cut the cherries in half and remove the stones. Place the bacon and the cherries on a flat baking tray lined with foil and grill until the bacon is crispy on both sides and the cherries start to bleed their juices.
- Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla essence together with 1/2 a tsp of the cinnamon in a small bowl. Place the hot cross buns in the bowl, allowing each one to stand in the mixture for 1 minute on each side.
- Brush the waffle maker with a little melted butter and place the hot cross buns in the centre of the waffle maker and close the lid.
- Plate the waffles and dot each with a small knob of butter, add the crispy bacon and grilled cherries, drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle over the orange zest. Mix together the remaining cinnamon with the icing sugar. Finish each plate with the ice cream and a dusting of cinnamon icing sugar to serve.