Image and recipe found at Soulvaki For The Soul
This decadent twist on an Easter standard is sure to be a crowd favourite at your next Easter gathering. Pair with vanilla ice cream after a filling Easter lunch, or be enjoy on its own with a lazy afternoon coffee.
CHOCOLATE AND CHOCOLATE CHIP HOT CROSS BUNS RECIPE
Adapted from here
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 4 1/4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder, sifted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 60g butter, chilled, chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dark choc chips
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder
- enough water to make a paste
For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine the yeast, milk and ONE tbsp of the sugar in a jug. Whisk well, cover and allow to acivate for approx 10 mins.
- Whilst the yeast mixture is activating, combine the flour, cacao and spices in a large bowl. Add the butter and using your fingers rub it into the flour, until it is well incorporated. (Be sure to remove any lumps).
- Using a wooden spoon make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture, egg and remaining sugar. Mix well using the spoon and then use your hands. Lay the dough onto a well floured bench and knead for 5 mins until the dough is glossy, smooth and soft. Place the dough into a well oiled bow, cover and leave in a warm place to double in size (approx 1 hour).
- Take the dough and punch it out and knead lightly. Add the choc chips and knead until well combined. Divide the dough into 15 even portions and place on baking tray. Cover and allow to rest for half an hour or until slightly rise.
- Combine the ingredients for the flour paste and using a piping bag (or a snap-lock bag with the corner snipped off) pipe crosses onto buns. Bake in the oven for 12-15 mins until the buns sound hollow.
- Towards the end of the buns cooking combine the sugar and water on a medium/high heat until the sugar has melted. Remove the tray from the oven and allow the buns to cool for 5 mins before placing on cooling rack. Brush the tops generously with the glaze and allow to cool completely before serving with butter.